Thursday, February 17, 2011

Recreation 3: Memory



This is a recreation of my memory of swimming with the dolphins. It was my senior year of high school, at Sea World, in California. I have been obsessed with dolphins as far back as I can remember and the stuffed animal I am holding in the picture I have had since I was little. I chose to do a self portrait to portray the emotions I was feeling at that time and what I feel now. Since my senior year, I have learned so much about dolphins in captivity and I am now extremely against it. I am so grateful for my experience, which is something I always wanted to do, but feel almost guilty now that I didn't know back then the detrimental effects of dolphins in captivity. This is why I posed in an almost guilty way, but I still don't want to let go of the experience I had there.

I positioned myself in a corner to help convey some of the feelings of guilty innocence, referencing when children get in trouble and have to sit in the corner. I also tried to sit in a more vulnerable position, to show my naivete. For lighting, I wanted a high contrast, so sitting in the corner with a flood light helped me create this effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment