Sunday, January 23, 2011

Blog Assignment 2

Prompt #3
“Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be.”~Duane Michals

I half agree with this quote. To me, it depends on the photograph. There are certain moments that are captured that could never be staged and are completely in the moment, and the happenings of the photograph are captured in a way the viewer knows it is true. I have seen instances of this quote in agreement and disagreement with it. With fashion photography the pictures are wild fantasies and always gorgeous, whether in the stereotypical sense of beatuy or in the horrific, depending on what the theme of the shoot is. I believe this is a direct relation to this quote. Although I have come to discover through my photography, it is possible to capture raw emotions in the moment that are not staged and seem to convey exactly the emotion that the viewer feels toward it.

Prompt #4
#4 “If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.” ~Lewis Hine.

I definitely feel this quote is applicable to photography that I've experienced. I interpret this as the old saying, "a picture tells a thousand words." I think everyone, whether involved in photography or not has experienced a picture that captures such an event or emotion, it is not possible to describe the way it made them feel at that very moment. Situations in which photographic images reveal the story are photo albums, magazines, and art. Situations in which words reveal the story would be novels. To me, the reader is able to use their imagination in order to form pictures in their mind based on the story being told.

No comments:

Post a Comment